Sunday, November 27, 2016

Short and Sweet

First of all, I pray everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I was going to skip this weeks post given that I was so busy with Thanksgiving and also trying to finish the first draft of The Five Barred Gate.Well, last night after my second plate of leftovers, I finished. After writing for 26 days and 68,270 words, it is finally complete.

I am relieved and anxious. Relieved that it's finally done. Anxious that I won't be able to touch it until January. NaNoWriMo still goes on for a few more days. During those days I plan to take some time and write out some of the ideas I had for revision. So I'm not really editing it, just jotting down things I am going to add when I get back at it starting Jan 1st. I want to be able to say that I completed the 30-day challenge. I met the 50K many days ago, but I want the other half of it. I also want to hit 70K. About 450 words a day. I did 600 today. So I will hit all three goals.

I praise God that he gave me the endurance to accomplish this. When I finally agreed to do this I was skeptical. I had only written my short story Waiting. That was 6700 words. That took me almost a year to perfect. And they wanted an entire novel in 30 days. I honestly didn't think it was possible. Mainly because of my schedule. I felt I would only be able to write on my days off because I generally work 12-14 hours a day, five days a week.

Well, Yes I wrote on my days off. But I was also encouraged, by Carolyn, to write a little bit on my work days. If it weren't for her encouragement, sometimes almost pushing me, to write, I don't think I would be where I am at today in this story. God has given me an awesome wife. She has always been my biggest supporter. Thank you, Babe!!

I don't know Gods plan for this novel. But I am excited at the potential it has. I feel He has spoken through it and I cannot wait to share it with the world. First, a few close friends whom I trust for an honest critique. Then, a month or two of editing. Then a final draft that I will submit for publication. Timeline, unknown. But I am excited about the journey.

So now what? What's next for me?

I honestly haven't the first clue. Start the next one, I suppose. I'll just take some good advice from a friendly fish, "Just keep swimming."

No comments: